What symptoms should I look out for?
It has been reported that there are varying degrees of symptoms from none to severe, and symptoms may include:
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Fever (body temperature ≥ 38°C)
What to consider before thinking of going for a test:
In the 14 days before your symptoms started, was any of the following true for you?
- I had close contact with a person who was diagnosed with COVID-19.
- I had close contact with an unwell traveller from China, Italy, Iran, South Korea or other areas where COVID-19 infections have recently occurred.
- I am a healthcare worker who has been exposed to patients with severe acute respiratory infections.
- I visited a healthcare facility (as a patient or visitor) in any country with COVID-19 infections have occurred.
- I’ve have travelled to or from China, Italy, Iran, South Korea or other countries with recent cases of COVID-19 infections.
Next steps if you still suspect that you might have coronavirus:
- You should make telephone contact with your family doctor who will be able to identify if you have the common cold or flu or if your symptoms resemble coronavirus symptoms.
- Remember to tell your doctor about any recent travel.
- If your doctor suspects you have coronavirus, they will contact the NICD clinical hotline to discuss your case and make appropriate arrangements for the next steps. The NICD will arrange for tests to be done at specific NICD laboratories. Once there is a confirmed diagnosis, the NICD will arrange for their accredited emergency transport services to transport the infected person to specific hospitals for treatment and/or quarantine.
Will my Medical Scheme cover the costs of the tests and treatment?
Most Medical Schemes will cover all costs for diagnosis and treatment if it is confirmed that you have coronavirus (COVID-19). If the results of the test are negative then you will have to cover the costs which is why it is crucial that you speak to your family doctor first before going to test yourself to ensure that you have a professional opinion that you do in fact need to go for testing.
Get a Comparison Medical Aid Quote from Momentum
Ensure you and your family are protected in the months and years to come with the right medical aid that is both affordable and gives you the required cover.
Speak to our partners Ubuntu Capital and have one there medical specialists compare your current medical aid plan